Saturday 13 February 2010

You call that sexy?

If you know me, you know I like to argue. I like lists. And, I love music. So thank you, Billboard Magazine, for your investigation into and subsequent listing of the "Ten Sexiest Songs" released between 1958 and 2010.

Here's the list:
  1. Physical, Olivia Newton-John.
  2. Tonight's The Night, Rod Stewart.
  3. I'll Make Love To You, Boyz II Men.
  4. Too Close, Next.
  5. Let's Get It On, Marvin Gaye.
  6. Hot Stuff, Donna Summer.
  7. Do That To Me One More Time, Captain and Tennille.
  8. Like A Virgin, Madonna.
  9. Kiss You All Over, Exile.
  10. Do Ya Think I'm Sexy, Rod Stewart.
See, the problem with these songs is that apart from Marvin Gaye, they're far too obvious. Not their selection, but their lyrics. But rather than argue the merits of each song and its worthiness in such an august group, I'd rather provide my own list. I don't have the brain power right now to rank them relative to each other, and I could probably do a list by genre, but for now I'm just going to pick 10 from a cursory scan of my iTunes library and one "oh yeah" bonus. Feel free to argue about these as well:
  1. Teeth, Lady Gaga
  2. Brass in Pocket, The Pretenders (bonus points for its use in Lost in Translation)
  3. This is Love, PJ Harvey 
  4. Here I Am, Al Green
  5. Nothing Can Change This Love, Sam Cooke
  6. Baby I Love You, Aretha Franklin
  7. Upgrade U, Beyonce
  8. Girls and Boys, Blur
  9. Misguided Angel, Cowboy Junkies
  10. Nothing, Dwight Yoakam
  11. Sexy Results, Death From Above 1979
Also? This? This is sexy, too:

No comments: