Thursday 14 March 2013

Three quotes about the Singularity


Timely, given where I was in the last week.

I read this before I went.....

What does it mean for a society to thoughtlessly grant power to those who see the human body as an impediment to transcendence and believe that what’s good about us is what can be replicated by inanimate computers?  ~ Nicholas Carr, "The other digital dualism"

Then yesterday I found this:

The robot is going to lose. Not by much. But when the final score is tallied, flesh and blood is going to beat the damn monster. ~ Adam Smith

Then today I found this:

The interval between the decay of the old and the formation and establishment of the new constitutes a period of transition which must always necessarily be one of uncertainty, confusion, error, and wild and fierce fanaticism. - John Calhoun

Thoughts?

No comments: